Sunday 12 April 2015

Birthday

This Thursday was my Birthday so a good time for treats for me. A couple of weekends ago I popped into the fabric guild to see if anyone there might be able to take a look at my sewing machine for me and see if they could fit s new wick. They didn't do it for me but the repair man from there told me that it was just a small piece of wool felt that I needed to cut and insert into the machine to perform the same function as the original wick. I was very pleased when my hubby offered to do this for me when we got home so I think that my machine should all be sorted now and good to go. We had no sewing machine oil when he did this but have today bought some in order to drop onto the wick and provide oil around the machine. This should be sorted now and good to go with some more sewing.

I also couldn't resist a little early birthday present to myself.
I came home with this little lot. Lots of fat quarters, some more off cuts of fabric, toy stuffing (after the chicken I was starting to run low!) and also some wadding. I got this ready for when I am able to finish and quilt the seat cover for the little corner seat in my crafty room/study.

I think that some of these spotty ones are great and will be really good to use for things such as the lining of bags etc
I was also spoilt with this little lot on my actual birthday from my family
My husband knows me too well - a new board game for us to play and a sewing book, "half yard heaven". This is a book of all things that I can make with small pieces of fabric such as the fat quarters that I keep buying! I got the DVD from my Aunty Sarah and the other fat quarters and mini sewing kit from my in-laws. All very thoughtful and lovely pressies.

These came on Friday from one of my best friends - also known far too well. I can't wait to get stuck into the toffee once all of the Easter chocolate has gone.
Lastly but by no means least - definitely the present that has taken the most time and effort and that realistically has come from a friend that probably knows me least well - this fantastic handmade bag.
Quilted all around the outside
And using fabrics that suit me really well. Lots of bright colours and bold patterns, nothing too girly or flowery and my favourite of all - the tortoises right in the middle of each side!

This is an amazing gift and I can't believe how much time and effort will have gone into this. The inside has 4 separate compartments to store things inside as well as three extra zipped sections too.
Each of the zipped copartments is lined with a different fabric.
These two outside ones with this chevron fabric and you've guessed it, saving the best til last - the middle one is linesd with none other than...the tortoise fabric from the front!
Inside the bag were also these little extra gifts as well as a handmade card sent with this as well.
The templates for the English paper piecing have certainly inspired me to pick up my mini diamond blanket that I started with some scraps last year and also possibly to try and machine see some patchwork in this shape instead of the squares that I have done for the seat cover so far.

The final part of my prezzy was a day out with my mum and dad yesterday, hence I have loved having a full 3/4 day birthday this year and haven't managed to blog about it before today. Thank you everyone for all of the lovely gifts and making me feel very special over the last few days.

I have a little project that I am planning on starting shortly - I have gathered all of the supplies that I need to make it today so hopefully I will be able to start this over the next week or so.

1 comment:

  1. That's a gorgeous selection of fabric and especially love the polka dots! Debbie book are meant to be really good and useful let me know how you get on with it :) You're welcome and pleased to see it posted really well!

    ReplyDelete