Thursday 16 April 2015

Triangles - a sneaky peak at a secret project

Tonight I started to cut out some triangles ready for a secret project that I am working on. I've had a thoroughly lovely evening all in all. I was able to sneak out of work about 10 minutes early so I missed all of the rush of people leaving the business park and was home nice and early. A lovely shower, and home ready for some time to play with my fabrics with a nice cold glass of cider that I really feel like I have earnt this week!

I started by working out the size of the triangle shapes that I want to work into a patwork for the front of my secret project. I decided on 2" tall triangles as the height of the panel that I need to make is 6". This should be roughly what it will look like when they are together
This all seemed like a great plan so I started to cut out my pieces. 3" triangles are definitely far too big! (The ones on the right)
I added my seam allowance to the 2" inch triangles that I had decided on and started work on cutting the triangles out. I had even remembered to add on half an inch to each edge for my seam allowance. I thought I was doing really well until my basic school maths kicked in and I realised that a triangle whose sides are all 2" long doesn't actually make a 2" tall triangles! Woops.
This triangle that I have cut looked tiny! Especially when I knew that there was a seam allowance still to come off of this. Plan B - 3" triangles that become 2.5" when the seam allowance is used. This means that each of the triangles should actually be about the 2" tall and therefore what I wanted in the first place. Hopefully they will be a lot easier to sew than these tiny ones too! Not too much fabric wasted luckily so some 3" triangles here we come.

The drink definitely helped the process along when I realised I had messed up!
I have a few types of triangles pre-cut now and ready to sew together.
And a few more cut into strips ready to become triangles tomorrow evening.
I love the colours and the patterns in these fabrics. I really hope that they will work together well as one panel.

I have already started to write a blog post about the full item that this is to become but I can't show you it all just yet. I really couldn't resist just showing off this little bit as I hope that this won't give it away too much.

1 comment:

  1. Eeek can't wait to see your finished project :) The teeny ones can be saved for a pincushion or for when you try foundation paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete