Saturday 3 November 2012

Finishing things

I am very pleased with myself today. As I have a crafty morning while my husband is at work I vowed to try to finish some of the things that I have started and have sort of stalled on part way through.

Firstly I finished the 2nd ball of red on the Christmas table runner and have introduced the third - I thought I might be about finished after 2 but I have measured it this morning against the coffee table and think I still have a little way to go. I want to make sure it's long enough so a fourth ball might even be needed for the edging - we'll have to wait and see how it goes. Not quite finished but getting there at least and it should be finished in time for this Christmas and not next as was first planned.

I have also been knitting a fish hat and scarf for a boat trip that I am going on in a few weeks. Me and my husband are going with some friends so it was his fantastic idea(!) to have a silly hat competition while we're on the boat. We all have to buy/make and wear the most ridiculous nautical themed hat whilst aboard the boat. I also added that I thought we should introduce the rule that the hats also have to be worn in the pubs that we will no doubt end up in - was a nice idea but we have decided that we might wait to see how rough the pubs are around the Norfolk broads before we commit to this idea.

Ok so I got a little side tracked - as my silly nautical themed hat I decided to knit a fish hat which I was pleased to say I actually managed to make (with a little help from the mother in law) but it has been lying about with no eyes for quite a while. I sewed these on this morning and this is the final result.

When I found the pattern for this I also found the pattern for a matching scarf - being fairly new to knitting and wool crafts I didn't have much in the way of a "stash" so I had to buy all of the different coloured wools for this and therefore had plenty left over - this seemed like a good accompaniment and given that we are staying on a boat for 3 nights in November in England I thought this might also be needed.

This has worked ok but not quite as well as the hat as I wasn't so confident on increasing as I was on decreasing for the hat. The little holes that appear down the face are because I didn't quite manage to "make 1" as you are supposed to.
I also only got around to adding the eyes to this this morning and have also now put on a button to make it stay around your neck.


Again I apologise for the dressing gown look - there seems to be a theme appearing here - I love long dark winter days when you can stay indoors, snuggled in your PJs and dressing gown and make pretty things :-) so that's exactly what I have been doing this morning.

I'm not sure how much Henlow enjoys it - he is still too young to hibernate really but I'm not sure how impressed he is with us keep waking him up to sit under his light and try to stay warm. The fire seems to be coming on quite a lot at the minute as well to try and keep the living room warm for him in general. At least he is eating this morning so that's good :-)

Sorry this is now getting really long but I have a couple of other happenings to share with you. The other night some friends came round and we played with some sparklers (I was the photographer) and I got some really cool pictures. I love the way that all of the light trails show up on the camera.


Finally I have also started one of the projects that I have planned for the craft swap. I don't want to give too much away as I want all of the gifts to be a surprise but here's a little taster.
Again I'm sorry that this ended up being so long but I feel like I have got quite a long way in only a few hours this morning.

Have a nice weekend everyone - another crafty day for me tomorrow so watch this space for more posts. I almost have all of the recipes now for the Bake Off recipe book so I might do some more work on that - we'll see how the mood takes me tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh wow I am really impressed with the fish :) I can't knit at all yet unless you call a wonky square knitting :)

    Love the bake off book too! Hannah.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah - I'm really pleased that you like some of the things that I have been making - let's hope you like the things I have planned for the swap as well. :-)

      Kate x

      Delete